Things I do for fun:
- I currently play the viola with the SUNY Oswego Community Orchestra.
In recent years I have also played with the Adelphi University Orchestra
and the Mannes Community Orchestra, conducted by Peter Bellino as part
of the Mannes College Extention. I have played a variety of works by Beethoven,
- In years when I'm living in New York (this isn't one of them),.I sing
tenor with the Choral Arts Society
in Westchester County, NY. We have recently sung compositions by Carlissimi,
Bach, Verdi, Vaughn-Williams, and others.
- I also do small ensemble work on the viola when I have a chance. I have
recently performed in quartets and quintets doing works by Bach, Mendelsohn,
and others. Joan and I pair up from our respective instruments from time
to time as well. She plays piano and cello. I play viola and violin.
- Of course playing is just one corner of the world of music. Joan and
I frequently attend concerts of the New York Chamber Music Society and
New York Philharmonic at Lincoln Center and additional concerts at Carnegie
Hall and other venues around New York.
- I love to read science fiction and have devoured the entire output of
a number of science fiction authors. Current all time favorites include
Issac Asimov's Foundation Series, Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy,
Card's Enders Game and its sequels, and Asimov's later robot series. I've
read a lot of trashy Star Wars novels as well.
- I like to read everything, but spend a lot of time in the literature
of communication (especially communication theory and media studies) and
- I have written a large number of articles, papers, patents, and book
chapters. Some have been very well received. My doctoral dissertation
is covered at length in the second edition of Turoff and Hiltz's "The
Network Nation". A subsequent paper with Philip Thompson receives
several pages of coverage in Wallace's "The Psychology of the Internet".
- I am currently writing a book entitled "Characteristics of Media:
the message beneath" which explores the possibilities that are inherent
to different media.
- I walk run, bicycle and rollerblade whenever the weather allows (and
sometimes when it doesn't). Walking happens naturally when you live in
the city. Its simply the best way to cover short to moderate distances
in New York. I work hard, however, to build bicycling into my daily routine.
I recently added a new folding bicycle to that
effort that makes it much easier to transition from bicycle to public
transportation (subway, train, or bus) and back.
- In the winter I love to ski. I don't get to do it as much as I'd like,
but I have enjoyed many wonderful Thanksgivings with my family at Sugerloaf
USA in Northern Maine. This year I'll be there with them in late December.
- Driving my Honda Insight hybrid, which, more than four years after I bought
it, still gets over 60 miles to the gallon (and is still on its first set
- Enjoying our media rich environment. I love movies, Broadway shows, entertaining
billboards, television, videos, conversations on the internet, and just about
any other system by which I can communicate with other people. My research
program has identified several hundred distinct media. I wish there was time
to spend significant time in all of them.